Most of all, we like it because it's quirky. There's an wonderful mix of people--European visitors, Germans riding rented Harleys, crisp rangers, cheery Mormons, somber polygamists, grizzled ranchers, mountain climbers, and off-the-grid survivalists.
This blog is for people who like to dig deeper into a place--who like to turn over rocks to find the unusual, strange, seldom-seen, and beautiful.
I enjoyed getting into the mood of the place. Perhaps others will find a different ambience--but I found something a bit dark... noir--a backwoods, wild spirit lapping at the outposts of ordered civilization.
Advantages of Zion
- Campgrounds close to town, stream, visitor center, shuttle buses, & riverside trail
- Shuttle buses make it easy to visit all parts in the valley
- Lots of great hikes that aren't too long or difficult
- A good home base for interesting day trips by car
- Angel's Landing and the Virgin Narrows are among the best short hikes in the USA